Introducing Brittany Lauga
I am honoured to have Brittany Lauga MP on the Dream for Others podcast.
Brittany is the Assistant Minister for Education and Member for Keppel in the Queensland Parliament. She was first elected in January 2015 when she was 28, and got through a second term in November 2017, still representing Keppel now at the age of 31.
I wanted to talk to a politician and someone who is really active in the community to discuss dreaming for others through a different lens to which we’ve done so far on the podcast. I’m excited that Brittany – someone from my own local region and someone I voted for – is on the show.
Learn about (and relevant time stamps):
- 2.10 Who is Brittany
- 3.05 How Brittany got into politics
- 4.25 Brittany’s passions and interest in social justice
- 5.30 The importance of a strong social fabric for community building
- 6.40 The Equitable Access Pub Crawl and the Equitable Access Beach Map
- 8.45 The Share the Dignity Campaign
- 9.10 How many people actually want to help
- 10.00 Being a community and social justice matchmaker
- 11.30 A local example of how applying for funding can be hugely beneficial to local community organisations
- 13.00 Brittany’s advice for getting involved in community and social causes
- 14.30 The power of reaching out and offering to help with the skills that you have
- 17.05 Examples of what Brittany has seen of people getting involved in community organisations
- 18.45 On being a politician
- 20.30 Balancing personal values with political requirements
- 22.30 Advice for people who feel disillusioned with politicians
- 25.50 The different ways Brittany engages with her community
- 28.15 How Brittany handles political criticism
- 31.45 On bad days in politics
- 34.10 What’s next for Brittany
- 35.30 Juggling work and being a Mum
- 37.10 The parallels between child development and community development
- 38.25 Why Brittany believes we should have children present in more of our community and political forums
Connect with Brittany Lauga
Links and Resources
- Busi Women
- Equitable Access Pub Crawl
- The Umbrella Network
- Share the Dignity
- Capricorn Coast Football Club
- Queensland Government Grant, the Female Facilities fund
- Yeppoon Surf Life Saving Club
Enjoyed this episode? Take action:
Thank you for listening to this episode of the Dream For Others podcast. If you enjoyed the episode, I’d absolutely love if you’d:
- Share it on social media and/or with your friends.
- Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or Youtube.
- Check out the Dream For Others meditation to find clarity and direction on your dreams for self AND for others.